For A-List Living on D-List Dimes......

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Maybe 'Copy' Was A Clever Cat.......???


I’ve often been told that imitation is the best form of flattery. I think this pearl of wisdom was first bestowed to me when my arch nemesis school mate stole my first boyfriend. “She just wants to be like you”, my Mother insisted, “you should really be flattered”. The idea was further ingrained in me when my little sister’s best friend frequently tried to steal my favorite thigh-length peach crochet sweater before finally pleading with me “when you die, can I please have that”. The aforementioned wannabe shall remain nameless but A.D. – you know who you are. These miscellaneous copy cats are often the bane of our high school existence. You know the type – the girl who latches on to any kind of group scenario and pauses to see how the leader of the pack is going to respond to a situation before vehemently nodding her head in agreement; the girl who just happens to produce a rhinestone studded denim jacket less than a week after you bought yours and who swears her mother insisted she got a matching bowler hair cut and the idea was never hers. Now, if I’m honest - I’ve always been deluded with notions of grandeur about myself. Namely, I’ve always believed that I have a unique sense of style but at the end of the day when it comes to fashion – does originality really exist or are we all just trying to imitate somebody else??

Whether it be the playground or the pages of glossy magazines, most of our fashion sense has evolved through emulating others. I’ve come to realize that my Mother’s pearls do not a fabulous outfit make however, thanks to a tip from Rachel Bilson (via InStyle magazine) I’m learning to once again embrace lace and have been adding little accents of it to my wardrobe. Indeed, proof that the bankability of the Hollywood star is a major force in the fashion industry has been seen in the increase of ‘celebrity designers’. If you want to dress like Beyonce, you can do so at ‘House of Dereon’, if you fancy looking like Jennifer Lopez check out her JLo line or if you want to rock out like Gwen Stefani you can flex your credit card at L.A.M.B. Indeed, these stars have realized that not only is imitation the greatest form of flattery – it’s the very foundation that second homes were built on.

Needless to say, the cost of being a copycat can downgrade a fashionista to a mere mortal recessionista which is why I have become a huge fan of celebrity lines at, dare I say it, Target (if you pronounce it like tar-jay it will make you feel better). Worse again, I recently made purchases at Kohl’s. I kid you not. While browsing aimlessly on the World Wide Web I stumbled across Lauren Conrad’s ‘LC’ line of clothing for the aforementioned ‘boutique’. What can I say?? I fell in love. How was I supposed to resist her black sweater with the lace panel in the sleeve that was 20% off on President’s Day?? Rachel Bilson TOLD me lace was going to be a big thing this season and LC seduced me with her rock bottom prices. Furthermore, her ballet flats pictured below are featured in this month’s In Style magazine are so cute and a great addition to anybody’s wardrobe. I know I will wear these for work all the time and at a mere $36 – how could I refuse??!

Yes, I do have notions of grandeur about myself. I do like to think I can rub shoulders with the elite and fashionable and roll with the high rollers but truth be told, I just don’t have the spending power. Therefore, I am delighted that Tar-Jay is introducing their ‘Go International Designer Collective’. Over the past number of years, Target has seen its fair share of celebrity fashion lines with guest designers including Jean Paul Gaultier (although I have to say – I hated every piece in his collection, namely the lame swimsuit). They have decided to launch a new line with 34 of the best-selling dresses from previously featured designers including the likes of Zac Posen, Libertine and Alice Temperely. Better again – all of these dresses will be under the $50. Ah, how I love the sweet sense of satisfaction that comes with getting a deal. Now I know that this line will not be launched until March 13 but just knowing that I am going to buy this gorgeous Rodarte design below gives me the same butterflies-in-my-stomach sensation as if George Clooney were about to kiss me.

Judge as you see fit – I’m off to day dream about hemlines and handsome men and how I can continue to copy cat my way through this fashionable life…….

LC Conrad for Kohl's
Rodarte for Target

Share

No comments:

Post a Comment